Friday, January 23, 2015

THE BIRDS OVERHEAD

KATHY FULTON

I met with my spiritual mentor just before I left for our move to Haiti.  She is a very wise saint who had been a missionary for many years.  She asked what emotions I was experiencing in preparation to leave for the mission field.  I told her I was feeling excitement to follow God’s call, apprehension to leave my family and friends, nervousness about what situations we might find with health and safety there, and feelings of inadequacy.  I told her I was only allowing myself to focus on the “excitement” emotion.  She told me “all these emotions are like birds flying over your head.  It is good to acknowledge they are there, but don’t let the negative ones nest in your hair.”  I replied “Sometimes, I not only let these emotion-birds nest in my hair, but I also provide them with twigs for their nests!”  We both laughed and we finished our rich time together over our tea and cookies. 

Now, in Haiti, I continue trusting that God will provide for my dear sweet kids and grandkids, parents, siblings, and friends, and focus on my excitement for my God-sized adventure ahead!  When feelings of doubt, insecurity, fear, or inadequacy fly overhead, I shoo those bird-feelings away!  Our God is bigger than all of our doubts and insecurities.  

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Romans 15:13

No comments:

Post a Comment