Saturday, April 15, 2017

The Family of God

BY MARK

It was the last day of February when we got the news from our friend, Wisnel, that his 18 year old son, Anderson, had been injured in an accident upon leaving church.  Immediately after the accident occurred, Pastor Jean Marie was nearby, and offered both his vehicle and all the money in his pockets to assure that Anderson was transported to a trauma center in Port au Prince.  After a few weeks in the ICU with Wisnel sleeping on the ground outside of the hospital at night, both the money and the ability to effectively treat Anderson were in question.  Wisnel approached me and asked if I would be willing to transport Anderson back to the family’s house in St Ard to see if he could recover.  I had so many questions.  Is he able to travel? How can he be cared for at home with no electricity, running water or 24 hour care? How can he be fed?  With Wisnel tearfully asking, I agreed to make the journey to the hospital to stuff Anderson in the back seat of our vehicle for what would certainly be his final journey home.  Wisnel assured me that he would arrange everything so that Anderson would be ready to go when I arrived at the hospital in Port au Prince. 

Mark visiting Anderson with Nurse Jen
I set out early the next morning, picking up Wisnel (armed with several pillows and blankets) and his cousin en route.  When we arrived at the hospital, I was allowed into the ICU and found Anderson on oxygen, with IV’s, a catheter, a tube from his mouth to his stomach for feeding, and a tube in his nose to assist with breathing if necessary.  Several medicines were being given to him through his tubes, as he remained unresponsive from (what I soon found out) his subarachnoid brain hemorrhage.  The ICU doctor was visiting from the University of Chicago and we began the conversation to turn Anderson over to our care.  The experienced US physician said that if I could ascertain that Anderson could survive on room air, then I could feel free to transport, as there really was not much else that could be done for him, other than to wait and see IF he might recover.  He gave me carte blanche to see what I could do.  As I weaned Anderson from his oxygen, checking his oxygen levels (O2 sat) he seemed to be maintaining well.  So after several hours, with all of his other “tubes and bags” in tow, we squished him and two others in my back seat to help hold his unconscious, limp body, while his dad and I manned the front seat.  Arriving at his house in St Ard after a couple of stops to help clear his airway, we were greeted by several members of the church, several extended family members and his siblings.  We carried him on a small mat, several yards down a dirt path, followed by several ladies from the church waving their arms and singing “What a Friend We Have in Jesus”.  We placed him on his bed, positioned his tubes, wrote a list of what was needed from our hospital to continue his care, had a rich prayer and petition time on Anderson’s behalf, and sent me on my way.

Family and friends frequently provide food
During the weeks following this scene, a family friend, who is an LPN equivalent, moved into the modest home and has rarely left Anderson’s side.  The church, his family and the community has provided meals, laundry, and an unbelievable amount of support for Anderson and his entire family.  The powerful prayers, songs and love shown to him, is only trumped by his mother telling me often how powerful Anderson’s testimony will be when he recovers.  At the writing of this blog, Anderson is still non-verbal, slowly gaining some responsiveness,  has no “tubes” and shows improved movement of all of his limbs.  His eyes flash open but do not react normally to light.  His arms and legs move uncoordinatedly.  He is still with us!!


I don’t know the final chapter to this story but I do know that these interim chapters have been incredible. To see the community respond at this level around a family in need is something that is rare in the US.  To see the hope that buoys the family given by the church has been incredibly touching.  To hear the songs, to feel the prayers, to know the love around Anderson has buoyed my soul as well.  As God continues to write the story of Anderson, I anxiously await what comes next.

1 comment:

  1. The pure Love of God and His family never stops bringing tears to my eyes and a feeling to my heart that is unexplainable. My wife and I will be praying for Anderson and his family for love and healing. thank you all for your faithfulness to God's call on your life.
    God's blessings,
    larry and kelly brown

    ReplyDelete